[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
RabidHaMsTeR.Org • View topic - Using a RAM drive to speed it up?

Using a RAM drive to speed it up?

Suggestions + Info on development of R4 visuals

Moderators: rabidhamster, Rovastar

Using a RAM drive to speed it up?

Postby dabug911 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:27 pm

Do you think this would increase performance dramatically with R4? Basically making this the main hard drive in the machine with basically a stripped down copy of windows and r4 running. Should be plenty of space with 4 gigs on it (the RAM DRIVE)

Gigabyte I-RAM DDR PCI Virtual RAM Disk SATA W/ Backup Battery

hrough GIGABYTE's custom intelligent controller, i-RAM acts like a regular SATA hard drive at theoretically 1.5Gb/s data transfer rate. By utilizing conventional DDR memory modules, i-RAM is outfitted with four 184-pin DIMM slots that will accept any DDR DIMM and support up to 4GB unbuffered / non-ECC memory. Most of all, the major issue of data lost after powering down is solved by i-RAM's backup battery which is charged by your system on the fly. Without mechanical elements of traditional hard disks, i-RAM's stunning performance coming from the nature of DRAM as storage medium benefits in massive storage access application such as video / audio capture & editing and 3D graphics design applications. i-RAM is the fastest storage device you have ever imagined !
dabug911

Postby rabidhamster » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:48 pm

Might do a little. If you haven't already:

1. Turn off Virus Checkers
2. Turn off writing to the log file

Then the major slowdown is really loading textures, which you may find won't be speeded up massively by the RAM drive. Looks good though - how much is it?
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby SpOOnmAn » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:29 pm

i was looking back to see,
if you were looking back at me,
to see me looking back at you
SpOOnmAn

Postby dandaman32 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:29 am

Those disks don't come cheap - you're better off buying 1GB of DDR for about $90 at most online computer stores. I did the same for my PC and it worked wonders.

-dandaman32
dandaman32

Return to R4