[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
RabidHaMsTeR.Org • View topic - Beat Detection & Gamma Strobe

Beat Detection & Gamma Strobe

For questions about problems with R4 and Bug reports

Moderators: rabidhamster, Rovastar

Beat Detection & Gamma Strobe

Postby DiePlage » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:39 am

Hi Folks,

I just recently began to use R4 and it really ROCKS!!

I am using Winamp 5.03 together with the R4 1v08 Vis-Plugin. I never tweaked with any of the settings, especially the bass detection as the defaults worked pretty well for me.
Yesterday I had to reinstall my System and all by sudden the beat-detection seems meesed up. Actually there IS a lot of movement in the visualization. R4 just doesn't seem to respond to the low frequencies.
Especially the strobe misses the beats. It is flashing all the time without any rhythm. And before anyone asks: I am listening to house-music with VERY clear beats.

Any hints on that would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if it makes any difference but here are my system specs:

Athlon 2600+
1GB DDR333
Abit Nf7 with 6channel AC97 on board
9800pro

Thanks in advance!

DiePlage
DiePlage

Postby ..i » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:45 pm

I'd wait for Gordon or Rovastars analysis because they would no more about this than me.

But I'll give you my thoughts on it anyway...
The beat detection is specific for each scene and I don't think that there is a way to increase or decrease without going through each of the scenes individually. R4 responds to the music that comes from your sound card, so maybe try messing with the volume controls (in Winamp AND in your taskbar). Sometimes messing around with the equaliser settings will make R4 recognise the beat more accurately aswell. It sounds like you just need to turn the windows volume control down and then R4 won't be so active all the time.

Another possibility is that there is a slight lag between your sound card and your graphics card which would make the visualisations slightly out of sync, but to be honest I would think that this is unlikely considering you have a 9800 pro. By the way I have the same sound card as you and a 9600xt graphics card and I'm not having any problems.

Again Gordon and Rovastar would no more about it than me, I'm sure they'll give you an answer pretty soon.
..i

Postby Rovastar » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:35 pm

For the most realible/easist way of getting the sound detection right is to us the winamp plugin. That way it should all be regulated.

First is winamp outputing a signal all ok.

Install winamp 5.04

Turn classic skin on.

View the on-skin spectrum anaylser does it look all ok.

Not clipping the sound, maxed out bars or anything.

There is not much to change in R4 for the setting for the regular user as mentioned you have to get into all the individual scene configs and that really isn't advised.

View current scenes in R4 to see what the output is like.

The "simple voiceprint" one. (I think it is called that) and wavescope.

These should look like waveforms/spectrum etc. Do they?

Somewhere in the middle; not always too low, not always too high.

IF they don't post us some screenshots.

ALso you can try running R4 as a seperate application.

Open R4.exe in windows mode is easist and in WIndows Voluem control select OPtions properties --> recording (tick all boxes and ok)

NOw the options you get will depend on teh sound card you get you will have one called mixer or stereo Mix or something. Select this option the one that is your sound output and on these 2 scenes above ajust to teh volume control to get to valid/acceptable ranges.

Let us know how you get on.
Rovastar

Beat Detection and Strobe

Postby DiePlage » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:49 pm

Hi Folks!

First of all I have to express my respect for this comunity! Your "response time" is like what all companies dream of. It's alway a god feeling to get a software from the "anonymous" internet and nvertheless being able to get "in touch" with someone.

I wish I ever had a chance to be a DJ on some party and show R4 to all the party peeps....

Back to my original problem, the bass detection.

The visualization seems pretty much in sync with the music, so we don't have any latency problems. Though the strobe doesn't seem to catch the extrem low frequencies, it rather seems to responds to mid frequencies (snare).
This might just be the kind of music I listen to.

So I'm not sure that this is a probem of R4 anyway. Maybe nevertheless my problem should lead into a suggestion:
Wouldn't it be great to have a more-or-less graphical interface to choose which frequency range the bass detection should "listen" to?

I don't know what changed about my system during the reinstall, maybe before I reinstalled I just picked songs where the detection worked great....

Anyway, I am pretty much out of ideas and -to be honest- R4 looks more than great anyways, as long as I don't turn on the strobe....

So, thanks for being there!

DiePlage

(which has nothing to do with "dying" cause it is "The Plague")....
DiePlage

Postby FMaz » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:54 pm

Same problem for me ...

The scene just aren't synchronised with the music.

I was listening to Project Wyze - Eyes Wide Shut ... and at the beginning of the song, there is almost NO SOUND (it's like a guitard long song .. very quiete, no beat, just this sound like a wind in the background)

and the scene was Render RECT Example I think...
ell, I'm currently to this scene, and if it was possible, I could completly pause the music and it would do the same thing I'm sure...

Is the fact that I'm listening to a VBR mp3 change something ?
The output volumes are at the MAX everywhere (exempt on my speakers.. lol)

In voice Print Spectrum, I don't think the sspectrum is ok.. it is very low, and it flash VERY HIGH (the max) and IT DOESN'T FOLLOW ANYTHING.
My Equalizer in winamp is OFF, so the sound is normal.
ScreenShot:
www.cybercity2034.com/pub/screenshot/R4 ... rouble.jpg

Notice that it's really a FLASH when the spectrum go high... my TV have difficulty to display it because the is so quick.
The spectrum stay low for maybe 95% of the time..

When listenning to HipHop, it's better, but the flashing problem still the same
FMaz

Postby Rovastar » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:07 pm

Rovastar

Postby rabidhamster » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:13 pm

rabidhamster
Site Admin

Return to R4 Bugs/Problems