[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
RabidHaMsTeR.Org • View topic - N00b question: How an I create a true lissajou pattern?

N00b question: How an I create a true lissajou pattern?

How to create a custom scene, and custom scenes people have created.

Moderators: rabidhamster, Rovastar

N00b question: How an I create a true lissajou pattern?

Postby DM » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:00 pm

Hi all -

What a fantastic program R4 is. However, a bit daunting for me. I am trying to learn how to make a preset that will have a true lissajou figure in it. That is, I need to plot the left and right stereo audio signals (x-horizontal and y-vertical). Is this possible in R4? I see many presets with things that look a bit loke Lissajou patterns, but I am not sure that they are true (unadorned).

If something like this already exists, could someone point me to it and offer a little direction?

Thanx for you help!

Dave
DM

Postby Narei » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:22 pm

I can't really answer your question, but I did a quick google and was wondering if I'm understanding your question right. Are lissajou figures kinda like the old fashioned beziers screen saver on Windows? Sounds like it could make for an interesting scene.
Narei

Postby DM » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:36 am

Hi

A Lissajous figure plots two changing signals each on the X and Y axes. In audio it is often used to display phase relationships in a stereo signal. For instance, if you had a stereo signal of 1000Hz in each channel and those signals were in phase, you would get a diagonal line in the display both signal would rise and fall at the same time). If the signals are 180 degrees OUT of Phase, then the figure would be a circle.

If the signals are not the same frequency, you get more interesting patterns: With signal such as 1000Hz and 500 Hz, you would get a type of fisgure eight. If you usem say 1000Hz and 499 hz, the you would get a figure eight the slowly rotates at 1 Hz...
With normal stereo signal, the effect cabn range from wild scribbling (fast, uncorrolated left and right channels) to slow, changing ovals and figure eights with more static low sounds.

This may be a more technical explaination than necessary. On an Old Skool oscilloscope it was very easy. One would attach the left channel to the x axis and the Right channel to the Y axis and off you go!

But you are right, the figure looks a little like the Belzier curves.

Perhaps R4 is more involved than I need (though it is just so beautiful!) I just need to plot the relationship of two signals on a cartesian plane... is this 2D request too simple for R4 or is it (or perhaps I) just too simple for R4?

Dave
DM

Postby djTL » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:05 am

85% of statistics found in forum signatures are completely made up.

If you are one the 15% of people that do not use fabricated statistics in your forum signatures, do NOT copy this to your signature.
djTL

Postby andff » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:02 pm

a quantum leap forward!
andff

Postby djTL » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:13 am

If you are one the 15% of people that do not use fabricated statistics in your forum signatures, do NOT copy this to your signature.
djTL

Postby andff » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:13 pm

high!

this is a little bit incorrect, because waveRight[512]/waveLeft[512]/specLeft[512]/specRight[512] is an arrays, which contains 512 values (waveRight[0] - 0hz, waveRight[511] - 22khz? ). so your changes will operate only with most higher available frequency. and i'm not sure is it possible to get true sound frequency value, not separated by frequency ranges.. so, if you will find any web resources about sound analysis, please, post a links - it can helps
a quantum leap forward!
andff

Postby djTL » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:22 am

djTL

Postby andff » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:31 am

a quantum leap forward!
andff

Return to R4 Custom Scenes